Wednesday, March 16, 2011

reflection


I have chosen the topic of Equality in Education because I believe that it is an interesting topic. I have stated within my speech that equality in education is an ideal rather than a reality because of several points including stereotypes, different education standards, costs of tuition and post-education. My viewpoint is that different schools, both public and private, are at different levels of education and the government needs to fix this issue.

Throughout my speech I have used different language techniques, which include repetition, exaggeration, alliteration, inclusive language, anecdote, emotive language, statistics, and metaphors. ‘Now is the time!’ is used in the conclusion of my speech six times, which is both an example of repetition and exaggeration. The reason I have used repetition is that when I deliver my speech it will help to flow and have more of an impact of the listener. The use of repetition also makes people want to listen because they hear the same clause and want to hear what is added to differentiate the next statement from the one that preceded it. It also serves as exaggeration, which draws listeners in to hear my dramatic statement because when dictating an exaggerate clause it is done with a deeper tone which makes people listen. An example of alliteration in my speech is ‘extensive library, expansive playing fields and the expensive gymnasium’. Alliteration is import within a persuasive speech because it makes the speech easier to follow because it make the speech flow from word to word and the statement that has alliteration is more likely to be remembered because it has the same prefix. I have used inclusive language within my speech to include my audience into my speech. When I start talking about a group that includes my audience, they are more likely to listen to what I have to say because they stop to think about how they are involved within my topic. The use of an anecdote in my speech is one of the most important literacy techniques. The anecdote in which I used is easily relatable to my audience, which makes my speech flow easier and pulls in my audience. An anecdote is also important because it gives an example of my point of view in a real life situation. The most typical literacy technique, which is bound to a persuasive speech, is emotive language. An example of emotive language within my speech is ‘overcrowded’ and ‘expensive’. The use of this technique basically adds more information to the noun in which it precedes. It helps to add detail and exaggeration to a word. I used statistics in my speech to make it more believable and more reassuring. Without statistics the speech would have less impact on the audience because facts make people more inclined to change there mind. The last technique I used was a metaphor and an example is ‘extra inch ahead of everyone else’. The hypothetical inch is a metaphor for the advantage one has on everyone else. This is important because it add emphases on the situation.

Throughout my speech I have used many different language techniques to convey my point, which is that equality in education is an ideal and not a reality. I have realised that without these techniques my speech would be ineffective and more of a statement rather than a persuasion.





No comments:

Post a Comment